By Angie Nkuna
Giyani- The Giyani Magistrate Court has set-aside #FillupGiyaniStadium murder accused Nikiwe Masonto’s bail application on Tuesday after he made his court appearance for the 8th time since his arrest in September last year.
Masonto has been accused of murder of Victor Ngoveni of Mavalani village during the popular #FillupGiyaniStadium festival.
The accused was denied bail after he failed to convince the court why he should be granted a R500 bail.
Masonto of Siyandhani village in the outskirts of Giyani argued that he should be granted bail to enable him to pursue a work opportunity to feed his child and wife, which the court found to be misleading.
The Magistrate has turned down the bail application, asserting that granting him bail would put Masonto’s life in jeopardy.
“The accused’s bail application has been put-aside and he will then begin with his murder trial this March. The disgruntled protesters outside the court premises is the sign that the accused is no longer welcomed into the community,” said the magistrate.
Masonto then told the court that he understood that he was no longer welcomed by the community and that he had an alternative if granted bail, to go and stay with his granny in Phalaborwa.
The court argued Masonto was unfit for bail. He will be back in court on the 8th of March for trial.
“Masonto’s T-shirt which he wore on the day he allegedly committed the murder had a lot of blood and the DNA results will be available in his next court appearance,” concluded the magistrate.
Masonto, in closing, shockingly asked the court to sentence him maintaining that he has been behind bars for a long time.